Monday, October 31, 2005

Fifty!

Fifty!
I never thought I'd live this long.
The years just drift by,
One day at a time.

I'm shocked
when my grandchildren
look at me,
astonished at my "advanced" age.

Insulted
when a waitress,
who looks old and abused,
pats my hand offering the senior citizen's discount.

Fifty!
What have I done?
What difference have I made?
How much time is left?

Time.
The world hasn't changed much
since I was young.
It's still confused, violent, and beautiful.

Technology.
Yes, our technology has advanced
driving mankind further apart.
My hands are unclean.

News
twenty-four hours a day.
Same story but
they keep getting the facts wrong.

Email
allows us to keep in touch
with misunderstood words
we drift further into the abyss.

Take care!
Do not waste the day.
They are too few.
Quickly becoming yesterdays.

No time.
We live in the present.
Caught here
for all eternity.

Love
like there is no tomorrow.
Say everything
that needs to be said.

Touch
with tenderness.
There's too much violence in the world.
Gentleness is scarce.

Youth.
Reach back in time with your mind.
What did you dream?
Dream it again.

Age,
they say,
is a state of mind.
It is what we make of it.

What will you make of it?


Copyright 2003 by Mark Leon Winegar


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home